Ajax loader
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies as described in Cookie Policy.
Biot, Fernand Léger National Museum
Biot, Fernand Léger National Museum
A few months before his death in 1955, Fernand Léger purchased the St. André farmhouse (Mas St André), 
located on the outskirts of the village of Biot. In this horticultural setting, his widow Nadia Léger and his close 
confidant Georges Bauquier decided to create a museum as a tribute to Léger and to promote knowledge of 
his work. The building was designed by architect André Svetchine, and the park was designed by landscape 
artist Henri Fisch. The building features an immense mosaic facade, initially planned by Léger to decorate the 
Hanover Stadium (but never completed). An outstanding event inaugurated the Fernand Léger Museum in 
Biot on the evening of 13 May 1960. In 1969, the founders donated the building, land, and a rich collection of 
more than 300 works to the French government. André Malraux, then Minister of Cultural Affairs, accepted the 
donation during an official event that ended with a gala organised in the Festival Palace in Cannes. The Léger 
Museum is now a national museum, and under the terms of the donation, the founders will remain directors 
for life. After more than half a century, the Fernand Léger National Museum is essential for understanding the 
artist’s work.
Léger Fernand (1881-1955)
Cendrars Blaise (1887-1961)
Biot, musée national Fernand Léger
of 2
Items per page
Active Lightbox:
Open Lightboxes