Koloman Moser (1868-1918)
Born in Vienna in 1868, Koloman Moser was an Austrian painter and designer, and a leading light in Vienna’s Art Nouveau movement.
After studying painting at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna and graphic design at the Vienna School of Arts and Crafts, he became a teacher. In 1897, he became one of the founding members of the Vienna Secession, along with Gustav Klimt, and produced numerous illustrations for the movement's journal, Ver Sacrum. Gifted with great creative potential and an intense curiosity for all aspects of the applied and decorative arts, he worked in a variety of artistic roles, exploring both form and colour. His work encompassed paintings and furniture, jewellery and tableware, stained glass windows and wallpaper. He died in 1918 in his city of birth, where much of his work is now housed in the Leopold Museum.